QWERTY Keyboard

Close to 20 years back when I joined the IT Industry, I felt that I could increase my productivity many fold if I could learning typing. I had seen people struggle to type on the keyboards even after years of use, and it basically was due to the fact that they had never tried to really learn typing. A classic case was one of my colleagues who used to hold the keyboard with one hand and used his pointing figure of other hand to type. In time he did get good speed with it, but it was still not fast enough. 

With proper training, one can type almost at the speed with which one is thinking and that's when you get the true benefits. To put my plan into action I had downloaded a few free tools that taught typing and once I felt comfortable, I started getting my daily news paper to office. I would pick up any random article, open notepad and start typing it. My attempt was to type as much as I could without looking at the keyboard, but only at the news paper and then see how much mistakes I did. The reason to pick the news paper was to basically have new text every day, so I wasn't really typing from my memory. 

In time, I feel I became fairly fast. The net effect was that I could write code faster, I could reply to emails faster. While many people appreciated that I would always respond to their emails immediately, some actually made fun of it as well. They would say that I didn't had any work and hence could reply to emails quickly. While on the contrary, since I knew I could type the reply in maybe about a minute, why wait for later, was my motto. 

I can now say that I am very comfortable with the QWERTY keyboard and it was hence with some interest that I read about this new keyboard - BeeRaider. On first looks, the layout looks very amusing, but I guess it will be worth a try. I cannot say right now, how easy or difficult it would be learn or if using this keyboard will be any real benefit, but let's wait and watch. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travelogue: Hadshi Temple (Sri Satya Sai Pandurang Kshetra Temple)

Travelogue: Day trip to Places near Pune

Travelogue: Neelkantheshwar Temple