What do you want to be when you grow up?

During the growing age everyone has changing desires on what they want to be when they grow up. The standard list includes things like teacher, doctor, actor etc. My kid also has had her share of these.

The other day however she said something so very unique that we sat up to take notice and realized how much we are engrossed our busy work life that we sometimes end up neglecting spending time with family. The question isn't really time at home, but what we all usually talk about - quality time at home.

I have been given a blackberry from office, with the obvious intention that I am reachable all the time both on call and on mail. Usually I try to avoid checking mails regularly at home on weekends, but there are occasions when I do this very often and when am doing this, I switch off from everyone around me. My kid obviously felt disconnected and hence said that when she grows up she wants to be a mobile. This way she can be closer to me for longer and also I would pay attention to her and understand her better, as I seem to understand my current mobile phone.

Looks like it is time to take a break and relook at - am I really spending quality time at home?

Comments

  1. I sincerely wish that this comment has actualy drummed some sense into all the guys and ur ears and eyes will be with and for the family. I also believe that after a week or so, u guys will forget this instance and will be seen checking ur mails in the middle of the night !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is time to review and plan as to how to segregate office and personal life. Whenever we read something like this, we get enthusiastic to pay more attention to our kids and as soon as a week or so passes by, we are back to our old selves.. making the blackberry the most essential and the highest priority in our lives..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shalini, spending more time with family is the call of the day. However I don't think this is only a guy problem. It is a problem with working parents and I know of multiple cases where working mothers are no different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaa atul.. well observed and well said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Travelogue: Hadshi Temple (Sri Satya Sai Pandurang Kshetra Temple)

Travelogue: Day trip to Places near Pune

Travelogue: Neelkantheshwar Temple